[olug] Groupware suggestions - Long

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Fri Apr 12 15:32:39 UTC 2002

As another hit against using an exchange server, Lotus has been beefing up
their support for the Outlook client, and from what I understand they have
a special mail file template to give it extra functionality.

Lotus also doesn't care much about the OS it's running on.  Give it an IP
stack and it's happy.  If you follow the other post on the subject and
don't want to install it on your existing W2K box, you could install it on
an older server running Linux.

Bill

                    Phil Brutsche
                    <phil at giedi.ob       To:     "olug at olug.org" <olug at olug.org>
                    ix.com>              cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: [olug] Groupware suggestions - Long
                    04/12/02 09:41
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to olug

> I would really like to avoid Exchange.

I completely understand.

However, you need to ask yourself this: What products, besides Exchange,
integrate nicely with Outlook *and* give you the functionality your boss
is looking for?

> I already feel locked into the Win2k server and Active directory.  It
> doesn't do what we want and is not set up properly even though it was
> supposed to be setup correctly by a professional.  If the professional
> can't get it correct then I don't stand a chance and we will be locked
> into high price "professionals" for as long as we have the system.

Don't be fooled by the word "professional".  Some of those "professionals"
can't blow their own nose without us Linux geeks doing it for 'em!

AD is *not* hard to get set up.  All it takes is a little LDAP knowledge,
time, patience (ok, so those last two may be in short supply), a testing
machine you're not afraid to screw up, and someone knowledgeable about AD
who's willing to answer your questions.

I did it, it works great, and I'm not even a MCSE!

> I don't want to hodge podge some VMWare stuff either.  I'm really
> looking for an integrated solution, Windows or Linux.

If you're looking for something that can integrate with AD Linux is out of
the question right there.  That's only something that will change with
time, and if enough people get their head out of the sand (so to speak)
concerning Win2k.

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org