[olug] Microsfot Campus Agreements... hidden details?

JWLUCAS at up.com JWLUCAS at up.com
Sat Apr 6 19:13:31 UTC 2002

Based on a quick review this looks like an annual subscription model which
is potentially expensive for any enterprise.

                      Jonathan Warren
                      <jonwarren at cox.ne        To:       olug at olug.org
                      t>                       cc:
                                               Subject:  Re: [olug] Microsfot Campus Agreements... hidden
                      04/06/02 07:52 AM         details?
                      Please respond to
                      olug

As if students don't already use the software they want for free.  When i
had no income I used a friends.  Didn't keep me from installing Linux.

> Has anyone heard any bad news or negative effects of the Microsoft Campus
> Agreements? I mean it looks good at face value, 97% savings off of M$
> products (would deter pirating I'm sure), and perpetual licenses if you
> graduate... but can they restrict Gnu/Linux's emergence on university
> campuses with such an agreement?  Any forseeable downsides really besides
> making it a little less likely to convert students to Linux (price factor
> wise)?
>
> Please see the attached html page with more info on it.
>
> I would like to hear comments if anybody has any, voting supposedly
starts
> April 9th and I just want to make sure there's no 'devil in the
> details'... I haven't had a chance to review all the documentation about
> it quite yet though.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=CA3Overview
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/education/?ID=CAStudentOption
>
> ---------- websurvey --------
> websurvey.unomaha.edu (uno students only)
>
> UNOmaha
>               Student Technology Fee Increase Survey.
> Welcome
>
> This short survey is to determine whether students are wiling to
> increase Student Technology fee by $1.00 per credit hour. We want
> your input on this proposed fee increase.
>
> The benefits to students are:
> -  A 97% discount on Microsoft Software. The software includes Windows XP
> (Operating System), Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access), FrontPage
> (Create Web Pages) and Visual Studio Pro (Tools for creating software
> applications).
> - Perpetual license after graduation.
> - During the first year the $1.00 fee increase will go towards
> the Microsoft License for Students. During the second year of
> the $1.00 fee increase money will be allocated to the Microsoft
> Agreement, increasing the number of Electronic Journals at the
> UNO Library and fund additional technology grants by the colleges.
>
> 1.
>               Would you be in favor of adding a $1.00 per credit hour to
> your student
>               technology fee in order to add a Microsoft License
Agreement

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/office/2001/office_default.asp?navindex=s1

For help contact olug-help at olug.org - run by ezmlm
(c)1998-2002 OLUG http://www.olug.org