[olug] [FWD: FC: Microsoft's anti-Unix website runs, well, Unix]

Timothy G. O'Brien IrishMASMS at netscape.net
Tue Apr 2 22:12:26 UTC 2002

LMAO!!

Subject:  FC: Microsoft's anti-Unix website runs, well, Unix
     Date:         Tue, 02 Apr 2002 08:07:38 -0500
    From:      Declan McCullagh <declan at well.com>
       To:          politech at politechbot.com

    ---

   From: "Andrew Downey" <spam at andrewdowney.com>
   To: <declan at well.com>
   Subject: UNIX BAD, Microsoft GOOD - maybe.
   Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 23:23:47 -0500

   Declan,

   I doubt this story is part of an April fools joke - it's just too
   plausible.  It's from today's Wall Street Journal (page b-2 in the dead
   tree version).  I'd forward the URL, but as you know, WSJ.com is a
   subscription service that's protected by high-tech anti-circumvention
   technology (in this case, a cookie) and I'm trying to cut back on my
   DMCA violations.

   -Andrew

   Microsoft-Led Campaign Against Unix
   Uses Web Site Running on the Software

   By LEE GOMES
   Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

   A Web site funded by Microsoft Corp. urging businesses to avoid the Unix
   operating system is itself running on Unix, the latest example of
   Microsoft benefiting from the competitive software even while
   criticizing it.

   The site is connected with a new advertising campaign called "We Have
   The Way Out" that is co-sponsored by Unisys Corp. and Microsoft. The
   purpose of the campaign is to persuade corporate computing customers to
   use computers running Microsoft's Windows operating system instead of
   Unix, a rival operating system. Ads associated with the campaign say
   Unix "makes you feel boxed in. It ties you to an inflexible system. It
   requires you to pay for expensive experts."

   But the Web site that is part of the campaign doesn't use Windows for
   its operations. Instead, it uses a free "open source" version of Unix
   called FreeBSD, along with another piece of free software called the
   "Apache" Web server. Both products compete with Microsoft offerings, and
   both are extremely popular on Internet sites.