[olug] Corel Linux installation Questions

S. Ron Oliver sroliver at csc.calpoly.edu
Tue Sep 18 18:01:50 UTC 2001

Hi!

Just this morning I joined this list, so if my questions have already been
discussed, please be patient.  I also apologize for the length of this
message.  I am anxious to install Corel Linux, but feel I need at least
some of these answers before I start.  In the future I will try to stick to
shorter, one-subject messages.

About 6 months ago I acquired and installed Corel Linux to a DOS/Windows
partition on one of my W98 PCs, for a special project I am doing on
contract.  After a very short time my priorities on that project changed
and I was pulled off the Linux work to develop/refine a Training
Program.  I have recently put the "finishing touches" on the first product
in the Training Program, and have returned to the Linux work.

My previous experience with the Corel Linux User Guide was that there was a
LOT of missing, and quite a bit of incorrect, information.  So, this time I
started with the " for Dummies" book for Corel Linux, written by Stephen
Harris and Erwin Zijleman.  Although I am far from being a "Dummy" in this
environment, I was hoping to gain a benefit over the limp Corel User Guide.

My preliminary experience (having read the first 4 chapters) is that I have
definitely gained a benefit.  However, I have several questions that have
not readily been answered.  (In addition to reading the first 4 chapters, I
have consulted the Index and spent many minutes "skimming" the rest of the
book looking for answers, to no avail.)

1.	Toward the bottom of page 15 the authors claim "Corel Linux lets you
read and write to files in folders set up by Windows programs."

	OK.  That's GREAT!  That capability is a major requirement for the project
I am working on.  I have now spent several days' time searching help files
and existing documentation to learn how to do this, with no results.  So,
can anyone tell me where this is documented?  Or could someone just simply
tell me how to do it?

2.	Although it was not at all clear based on the Corel User Guide, I now
understand that, due to the nature of my project, installing Linux to a
"DOS/Windows partition" was the wrong decision.  So now I will delete the
CDL directory, etc., and reinstall.  However, there remain some questions
as to where to install.  (By the way, based on the needs of my project, I
also now understand that the "Default Desktop" was the wrong choice and
that, in fact, I need the Server Desktop.)  I'm guessing that I need to use
the "Edit partition table" option, but I am not sure.  I am wondering if
the "Use free disk space" option would work.  I cannot tell, based on what
I have read about it, if taking this option will cause Install Express to
automatically set up it's own partition, etc.  My guess is that it will
not.  If it does not, then will I not suffer a performance degradation
similar to that of the "DOS/Windows partition" option (to which degradation
I can whole-heartedly testify!)?  If not, how will performance compare with
the "Edit partition table option", and why won't it be as bad as the
"DOS/Windows partition" option?

I would very much appreciate hearing from any of you who can help me.

Thank you.

sro

S. Ron Oliver, semi-retired professor of Computer Science and Computer
Engineering.  www.csc.calpoly.edu/~sroliver

caress Corporation is proud to be the U.S. representative for Top Graph'X,
developers of high quality software components, using Ada.  For more
information, check out www.topgraphx.com.

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org