[olug] RE: [OLUG] IMP/Horde?

Phil Brutsche phil at giedi.obix.com
Sat Sep 15 16:43:16 UTC 2001

On Sat, 2001-09-15 at 10:03, Mike Peterson wrote:
> If and when you do get it working, could you write up a how to for it?

I *do* have it working :)

I'll have at putting up a IMP configuration from scratch and document
what I do.  Hell, it may even be material for a OLUG meeting :)

> Does exim use mbox or maildir?

Both, interchangably.

At work I have Exim deliver to mbox folders; at home I use strictly
Maildirs with Exim.

> I have been testing e-smith from e-smith.org on a system.
> It is a customized Redhat 7.0 with IMP/Horde, Backup, Samba, etc.
> It uses qmail and imap.
> But according to this list, exim is better.

That depends on who you ask :)  A lot of people here are qmail zealots.
It just so happens that the only people you've heard from so far aren't,
and, in my case, actually try to shy away from qmail.

> I loaded IMP/Horde on 7.1 but do not have enough experience with imap, ldap,
> and sql to get user accounts setup for it.

IMP uses whatever user accounts it uses to log in via IMAP with.

In other words, don't worry about about trying to get IMP setup with
usernames & passwords - it's literally just another email client.  When
you get your IMAP setup working to the point that you can use it with
Netscape Communicator or Outlook Express, or any one of a great number
of IMAP clients, IMP will Just Work.

For LDAP and SQL: if it adds extra complexity due to lack of knowledge
on your part, don't bother at first.  LDAP is 100% optional, for
example.

> I now have a system in production using Redhat 7.1, Sendmail, and
> squirrelmail.
> But am interested in running exim, cyrus, mysql, imap, and horde/imp if I
> hear good results.
>
> Some people mentioned that they are running sqwebmail. Brian the President
> was one of them.
> I looked at the site but have setteled for now on the setup listed above
> until I have time to test and try something else.

One of the things you need to keep in mind is "Don't try to fix it if it
ain't broken".  If what you have works well for you and your company,
changing your entire setup based on what you heard from other people can
lead to a lot of headaches for you later.

Oh, and I just got squirrelmail to work.  Damn, that was easy... Doesn't
like large mail folders, though.

--

Phil

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm