[olug] Re[2] good GUI MUA

Phil Brutsche phil at giedi.obix.com
Fri Sep 7 23:32:04 UTC 2001

> My biggest gripe about TkRat is that I can't figure out how to get TK
> to honor the wheel on my mouse.  It has a nice layout and it is fairly
> easy to move stuff from folder to folder.  One thing that does stink
> about it though is the fact that it requires an exclusive lock on the
> mailbox which fails to a readonly if it can't get the lock.

Pine & UW-IMAP do the same thing.

But now I have Pine (for those times I can't run Evolution, like this here
ssh connection) talking to Courier-IMAP, which uses Maildir++ folders.

No more locking problems :)

> I like to leave my mail connection up and home as well as work and if
> I am not paying attention I would get a readonly connection and after
> moving stuff around and deleting things I attempt to sync the mailbox
> and it fails.  Not a major problem but a pain in the arse when it
> comes to figuring out what should be deleted and what shouldn't on the
> next connection.
>
> I currently am using balsa which is decent.  I don't like the interface
> for moving mail between mailboxes and it is still beta at best.  I
> notice from time to time that it doesn't flush the outgoing mailbox
> correctly and I double send mail.
>
> I have had the same luck (poor) with M and IMAP.

It's called Mahogany now.

> The last time I tried evolution I could get it to compile but maybe
> I'll give it a shot again.

These days the Red Carpet thingy from Ximian helps a lot.

> Spruce was still pretty raw for IMAP last I tried

And seemingly unmaintained :( there havent' been any releases in just over
6 months.  The last was 0.7.6 in March.  The one before that was 0.7.5
last September...

> and I can't stand Netscape/Mozilla's UI for mail.  Keybindings were
> not there which made quick reading a slow and painful.

That's the least of it...

> If I've missed an IMAP capable client please let me know as I am still
> shopping for the 'perfect' client.

You haven't missed any but there are some you haven't used recently.

Phil

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org