[olug] Cox is demanding DHCP

David Walker linux_user at grax.com
Fri Oct 19 10:30:30 UTC 2001

Some hints to make DHCP less distasteful.

Use a variable in your firewall scripts for your own IP and some line to get
your local IP address based on the name of your network adapter.
MY_IP=`/sbin/ifconfig eth0 | grep 'inet addr' | awk '{print $2}' | sed -e
's/.*://'`

your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DHCP_HOSTNAME=cxYourCXNumber-d
ONBOOT=yes

your /etc/dhcpc/dhcpcd-eth0.exe
#!/bin/sh
/etc/rc.d/init.d/firewall restart| mail -s "Restarting firewall
`hostname`" me at emailaddress.com
exit 0

Obviously your results will be different if you're using a different DHCP
client.

My IP address has not changed in months (that was a real mess though,
involving changing machine names too.  don't ask me why.  I have no idea)
so I haven't worried about it but you could consider the use of a service
like http://www.no-ip.com/ to map your IP address to a non-changing DNS name.

In the 2 years I've had my service I do not believe my IP address has ever
been changed by DHCP without their changing the computer name as well.

My past experience with other providers is that they were able to provide a
static IP address but at a significantly higher cost.  The nature of cable
modems makes it possible to have an IP address that very rarely changes with
no extra cost involved.

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org