[olug] Cox is demanding DHCP

Christopher Cashell topher at zyp.org
Fri Oct 19 06:38:11 UTC 2001

On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 01:02:45AM -0500, Dave Homan wrote:
> I fail to see the drawback of running your computer dhcp.

Depending on how you use your computer, there /can/ be several
drawbacks to not having a definite, stable, IP address.

[Snip.]

> Or are you upset because you like to have access to your computer remotely
> via ssh or telnet or (insert service here) and you can't do this if the IP
> address keeps changing?  If this is the case then I should probably point
> out that you can just as easilly gain access to your computer using the
> computer name and domain name that they supply you?  for example:
> 	Say I want to ssh into my computer from work so I can do some homework.  I
> would then type  "ssh cx23984-y.omhan1.ne.home.com" where cx2309480-y is my
> host name and omhan1.ne.home.com is my domain name.  This will work just as
> good as "ssh 24.xx.xx.xx".  I live in the north region of town (around
> dundee) so my domain is omhan1, however for south I would imagine the domain

That works great, until your IP address changes, and you find yourself
unable to access your computer.

It is true, most intelligent providers making use of DHCP set it up to
attempt to repeatedly map the same IP address to your machine.
However, when you're using DHCP you lose the certainty that your IP
address will remain the same.

[Snip.]

> I honestly can't think of any other reason why you would need a static ip
> over a dynamic ip for regular residential service.  if you absolutely need a
> static ip and there is no way around it then I suggest you shell out lots
> and lots of $$$ per month and get a t1 line or something.

For someone who simply requires the ability to access their home
computer remotely, this seems excessive at the least, if not absurd.

> At any rate, I honestly don't think there is any other way to run a tcp
> network with over 30,000 subscribers and spread out across an entire city
> using any other method other than  (or a protocol similar to) dhcp.

It's not at all difficult to set up a large network making use
primarily of DHCP but limited use of static IP assignments, as well.
With most DHCP setups, it's even possible to permanently map an IP
address to a specific MAC address.  Or, depending on your setup, if
you're using local addresses internally which are mapped to real IP
addresses through a firewall, it's possible to set up a conduit between
the two IP address.  Lastly, with most Cable modem setups, each cable
modem has a MAC and IP address, as well, giving you an easy way to set
things up.

There's really no good excuse for blowing people off when they make a
fairly legitimate request for a service.

> But if you're still adamant about how cox is "screwing" you somehow then
> maybe you should go back to dial-up.

If the goal is making your computer accessible remotely, this would
seem to do little towards acheiving that goal.

--
Christopher

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org