Fwd: Re: [olug] Red Hat upgrade question

David Walker linux_user at grax.com
Mon Oct 15 15:14:57 UTC 2001

I've never had to struggle to resolve any of the midnight pages I've
received.  They've each been caused by a specific reason that usually turns
out to be me making the wrong choice, such as making a partition too small.

Most issues I see relate to the inherent problems of diverse hardware.
Correct me if I'm wrong but most commercial unix distributions are tied
directly to specific hardware combinations while Linux is built to run on all
kinds of different hardware.  That means that the work of selecting drivers
and programs that will work with your combination of hardware was already
completed.

Redhat 7.0 handles the Cox situation fine with the DHCP_HOSTNAME variable.
It's hard for me to understand your issues with "upgrading" when the issues
you are referring to are for a new install.

We've only been running our Linux servers for around 200 days but I've only
been paged twice in that time and both times it was a result of a
configuration error that I had made, which I would have made regardless of
the platform I was running on.

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org