[olug] Clustered Proxy Servers

Brian Roberson brian at bstc.net
Tue May 15 04:17:27 UTC 2001

When you say "overloaded" are you refering to network bandwith, disk
activity, cpu overload Or what? I can tell you a heathly linux box with
a decent amount of ram and fast disk running squid as the proxy server
can saturate a 100Mb FDX link no problem. As far as a clustered
solution, you can use lvs ( http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org ) to setup
a proxy cluster, you can even do cooler things like transparent proxying
( e.g. don't setup the web browser to use a proxy, just redirect all
packets destined for port 80 to a proxy server capable of handling
non-proxied requests.. Squid can handle these ) but in reality, you need
to answer my first question before justifying a different solution.