[olug] bad practices at home - not relevant!

puzzled puzzled at home.com
Sun May 27 04:26:39 UTC 2001

     :-)

   A much deserved poke - I've been asked before if the use of RFC1918
(aka private) addresses was an issue in large scale ISP operations and
I've always said that it didn't matter - I'd never really considered the
path MTU discovery aspect.

   I've known the mechanics of PMTU for a long time but I've never seen
an instance of it in action and I spend *a lot* of time watching traffic
with various protocol analyzers.

   Thus far this has been a pretty theoretical discussion - anyone got a
real world example they can share? I'd be happy if someone could come up
with a client/server interaction that shows actual PMTU discovery. If
this can be found I'll set up a unix box on a path where we can vary the
MTU and we'll do some benchmarks on network performance.