[olug] bad practices at home - not relevant!

puzzled puzzled at home.com
Sun May 27 04:16:28 UTC 2001

   big factor if its smaller - your IP packet which neatly fits into every
physical frame size on a hop by hop basis suddenly has to be cut into two (or
more) pieces to pass.

   real world numbers - the ethernet frame is 1514 bytes so an IP packet is
nearly that large (1460?). There were some limits related to X25 way back in
the past of 576 (I think) bytes per frame - so if you hit some old
router/misconfigured link you could wind up having each of your packets
converted to three separate fragments. Ugly, to say the least.