[olug] bad practices at home

Chris Garrity m0ntar3 at home.com
Tue May 22 02:40:48 UTC 2001

	Why wait 30-years for IPV6, when you can play Quake on over it now.

		http://www.viagenie.qc.ca/en/ipv6/quake/ipv6-quake.shtml

	What you need is an operating system with an IP6 enabled stack, an IP4 tunnel
to a IPV6 network, and you're rolling (that's protocol 47 (GRE)). I've setup an
IP6-over-IP4 tunnel once before with limited success, and it's really easy to
do. If I thought about it, it could've been a total success.

	The IP6 network to which a tunnel can be attached would be the
http://www.freenet6.net. Check out their information about different operating
systems here:

		http://www.freenet6.net/en/createTunnel.html

	There's also lots and lots of stuff here:

		http://www.6bone.net

	As for full-scale deployment, well (cough), just try the reading base-85 ip6
encoding =r54lj&NUUO~Hi%c2ym0, which is a valid IP6 address representation
according to rfc1924 (Informational), http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1924.html, of
the IP6 address..

		FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF:FFFF

	Not only are they had to type, they're hard to read, harder even to actually
read to someone, say over the phone.

	But, with 2^128 address, that's way more than one for every light-bulb,
probably enough for every atom in the universe. That's
340282366920938463463374607431768211455 in decimal, and

	"three hundred forty undecillion.
	two hundred eighty-two decillion.
	three hundred sixty-six nonillion.
	nine hundred twenty octillion.