[olug] bad practices at home

Adam Korab adam at ledhazard.net
Mon May 21 05:36:39 UTC 2001

On Mon, May 21, 2001 at 12:21:35AM -0500, Brian Roberson wrote:
> I would have to side with Vincent on this. It is bad mojo when you cant
> pull out a ip subnet calculator and do proper sub/supernetting. Being as
> wide spread as @home, and owning an entire class A subnet, what are they
> thinking? However, it is not in any RFC that you must use public ip
> space from edge-to-edge. I think the reason they are doing this is that

Right, but there is an RFC1918 that says that the 10/8 subnet is reserved for
internal use.  A while back on another list I read there was a lengthy thread
about wheter having RFC1918 addresses on router interfaces could break MTU
path discovery.  The general upshot is that the RFC specifically says that no
packets with a reserved address in the header (source or destination) should
leave the network in question.  Also, the RFC says it is not at all
unreasonable (but not required) for a network to filter packets with
RFC1918 addresses in the source.  (To prevent attacks and things like that.)

Comments/flames/discussion welcome.

--Adam
--
"A workstation without a network is like a geek in a field all by himself.
It looks intriguing, unusual and different but no one will come within 20