[olug] Video production

Jon Larsen jlarsen at cas-online.com
Fri May 4 15:45:39 UTC 2001

Eric,

Check out MPlayer.  I have found it to be the best video player for
linux.  It's command line, and has a wide variety of options, including
output to a file.  The latest version will play VCD and DVD from the
command line.  Pretty slick.  You may be able to use it to convert to your
final output format.  Visit the home page for all the info.

Here's the info from Freshmeat:
  MPlayer is a movie and animation player based on the 0.90pre5 version of
MPEGplayer and the Avifile library. It uses mpeg2dec/libmpeg2 for MPEG
decoding. The supported file formats are: MPEG 1/2 (MPG, DAT, BIN, VOB) and
AVI (Mpeg/PCM/AC3/DivX/MS-ADPCM/aLaw audio and MPEG4/DivX/Indeo/CVID video
codecs). It supports hardware YUV colorspace conversion and scaling via
mga_vid/syncfb devices or the X11 Xv extension.

  Author:
  Arpad Gereoffy <arpi at esp dash team dot scene dot hu>

  Homepage:
  http://thot.banki.hu/esp-team/MPlayer.html

At 07:44 05/04/2001 Friday -0700, you wrote:
>I finally got my firewire and usb webcam stuff working again last night
>in linux after my hard drive crashed.  I am using the 2.4.4 kernel.
>Now I have 10 GB of digital video from the airshow this weekend.  I
>need to convert it to a format that will have good compression and last
>for awhile.  I've looked into AVI, MPG, and DivX but have been
>unimpressed by the tools available in Linux for the conversion.
>
>The best contender right now is MJPEG tools but to get an mpeg stream
>from mjpeg you have to convert from dv to mjpeg to mpeg and I think I
>will get too much loss that way.  AVI support in linux is sketchy at
>best.  DivX is really not an option because it is so new.
>My ultimate goal is to be able to convert to a format that either
>windows media player or real player or a linux player could understand.
>MPG has a couple of formats including mpeg1 and mpeg 2.  DVDs use mpeg2
>and VideoCDs use mpeg1.  the VideoCD route would be very compatible on
>every system but I don't think it gives a very high compression.  mpeg2
>can also be read on almost every system but I haven't used a windows
>program yet that hasn't messed up the audio sync or used a codec for
>compression that was common on other systems.  I've always had to
>install the same program I compressed the video with on another system
>to be able to view it.  I don't have much experience with the linux
>codecs so I don't know if they will be able to go cross platform and
>between OSs or not. So will somebody explain this whole standards thing
>to me again?
>
>I have looked at broadcast 2000 but it seems to make mpegs that windows
>media player and real player don't play.  It also won't read in DV
>format video.
>
>Enough rambling.  I will cross post this to the OLUG and HLUG groups to
>get a wider audience.  For those of you on both lists I apologize.

----
[ Jon Larsen, Net.Admin  | CAS, Inc.                 ]
[ jlarsen at cas-online.com | 10303 Crown Point Avenue  ]
[ 402.964.9998 x2075     | Omaha, NE  68134-1061     ]
[ ICQ# 28192038          | http://www.cas-online.com ]
[ Plain-Text Email Only! | ftp://ftp.cas-online.com  ]