[olug] not again...

ktb ktb at nixnotes.org
Tue May 1 12:45:11 UTC 2001

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 12:37:10AM -0400, Adam Lassek wrote:
> Well, since my install of Debian Potato was really broken, I installed
> Progeny on my system, and now I'm having yet another problem with pppd...
> this time it's something else, though. It has the same symptoms, it connects
> and then drops the connection a second later, but auth is not turned on like
> last time. Also unlike last time, it's dying with error code 4, which
> apparently means I don't have ppp support in my kernel. The thing is, I
> compiled 2.4.3 and specifically added ppp support into it. The ppp package
> installed is the latest version also. I checked /var/log/daemon.log, and I
> believe this message is from pppd:
>
> Apr 30 00:02:18 riff modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-108

Did you test the system before compiling you 2.4.3 kernel?  Did you
compile ppp as a module or into the kernel itself?  What is the output
of -
$ grep PPP /usr/src/linux/.config

Also  -
$ grep char-major-108 /etc/modules.conf
alias char-major-108    ppp_generic

Shows ppp_generic isn't being loaded.

That should give you something to work with.  Have to run to work.
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted