[olug] cdrom

Dave Burchell burchell at inetnebr.com
Sun Mar 25 17:28:45 UTC 2001

I have a system called "lust".  Typical of recent i386-family machines,
It has two IDE interfaces, each of which can support a master and a
slave device.  Look at the output of "dmesg | grep ^hd":

lust:/home/burchell# dmesg | grep ^hd
hda: Maxtor 90680D4, ATA DISK drive
hdb: Maxtor 7345 AT, ATA DISK drive
hdc: LTN126A, ATAPI CD/DVD-ROM drive
hda: 13281408 sectors (6800 MB) w/256KiB Cache, CHS=826/255/63
hdb: 675450 sectors (346 MB) w/64KiB Cache, CHS=395/30/57
hdc: ATAPI 12X CD-ROM drive, 240kB Cache

Now let me try to mount a CD although there is no CD in the drive:

        lust:/home/burchell# mount /dev/hdc /cdrom
        mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
       mount: No medium found
        lust:/home/burchell#

Now let me try to mount a drive that does not exist, namely /dev/hdd:

        lust:/home/burchell# mount /dev/hdd /cdrom
        mount: /dev/hdd is not a valid block device
        lust:/home/burchell#

So, do you get the same error message?  If so, then perhaps as far as
the kernel knows there is no such device.  It could be that the Linux
kernel is not finding the device with its driver while Windows does.

If I were you I would try changing around the devices on the IDE
interfaces.  Also, try running with just the CD-ROM drive that isn't
working attached, then try to boot from that CD-ROM with the Linuxcare
BBC (Bootable Business Card) or a Debian binary 1 CD.

--
Dave Burchell                                          40.49'N, 96.41'W
Free your mind and your software will follow.              402-467-1619