[olug] Intriguing random hangs! Followup

Jason Ferguson jferguson3 at home.com
Sat Mar 24 00:55:27 UTC 2001

Keith,

You'll need a detailed description of what EXACT areas are bad on the
chip, memtest86 can supposedly do this.  Then, areas of memory to avoid
are passed to the kernel via an "append=" in your lilo.conf.

Im interested to see this feature put in the main kernel tree.

Jason

kaygee wrote:

> Thanks to everyone who made suggestions regarding my last post.  I went to
> BestBuy today and picked up some memory.  I'm testing it now but my
> preliminary findings are that the other stick of memory was indeed to
> blame.
>
> Anyway, I'm looking to still use that stick by adding the BadRAM patch to
> a new kernel.  Does anyone have any experience with this patch and if so
> do you have any suggestions for me?  Thanks again.
>
> Keith

"That as we enjoy great advantages from others, we should be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and this we should do freely and generously." - Benjamin Franklin, 1742,