[olug] apt-get question

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Sun Mar 18 21:48:13 UTC 2001

On Sun, Mar 18, 2001 at 03:11:34PM -0600, Mike McNally wrote:
> So is doing the following the old-fashioned way?
> 	download source
> 	make config(xconfig)
> 	make dep
> 	make bzImage
> 	cp bzImage /boot/new_kernel_name
> 	edit & run lilo
>
> and, is the purpose of the deb to be able to archive your current
> kernel?  Sounds like making a deb would be a good idea.

make menuconfig
make-kpkg clean
make-kpkg --revision=custom.1.0 kernel_image  -- kernel is built here.
dpkg -i ../kernel-image-X.XXX_1.0_<arch>.deb  -- kernel is installed.
edit and run lilo

You can archive your kernels this way.  The main purpose is to build the
kernel.  Using kpkg cuts out some steps such as having to "make modules."
Given the choice I go with the 'kernel-package.'
kent

--
 From seeing and seeing the seeing has become so exhausted