[olug] More DHCP Help

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Sat Mar 17 21:34:48 UTC 2001

> Phil Brutsche wrote:
>
> > > Problem 2: I want to run a DHCP server on eth1. This will handle all the
> > > masqueraded machines.  I have modified the init script to start dhcp
> > > like this: "dhcp eth1" to have it start on eth1.
> >
> > What I've done is have the dhcpd init script "source" /etc/default/dhcp.
> > That sets the environment variable "INTERFACES"; the dhcp init script was
> > also altered to tack that variable onto the end of the dhcpd command line.
> >

> Okay, fortunately, you and I use the same distro (tho Im eying Progeny once
> it gets done, RC 1 just came out).
>
> However, I dont quite understand that last paragraph (need a few hits from
> the Clue Hammer (tm)).  First, I did remove pump (i had both pump and
> dhclient installed, stupid me).
>
> Here's the content the /etc/default directory:
>
> total 8
> -rw-r--r--    1 root     root           92 Feb 23 15:13 devpts
> -rwxr--r--    1 root     root          641 Feb 23 15:15 rcS
>
> Are you telling me to move my dhcp init script from /etc/init.d to
> /etc/default?

No.

On the firewall I was talking about, I created /etc/default/dhcp.  The
contents:

INTERFACES=eth0

I then altered the file /etc/init.d/dhcp.  You can get to it via the web
at http://tux.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/dhcp and compare it against the one
provided by Debian.

I should probably make a "custom" Debian dhcp package with all these
changes I've been talking about :)  I'll probably have one in the next
hour or so.

- --
Phil Brutsche					pbrutsch at creighton.edu

GPG fingerprint: BDA4 C23C 1989 31FF CBE8  7EB4 6CA7 9636 941E 8451
GPG key id: 941E8451
GPG public key: http://www.creighton.edu/~pbrutsch/public-key.asc