[olug] Building a Hellacious Firewall

Jon thechunk at thechunk.dhs.org
Wed Jun 27 12:10:01 UTC 2001

Thanks for expanding on Telnet and ftp.  Insecure connection on a public cable is what i was refering too.  I am fairly positive that is how someone gained root access to my gateway at one point in time.  Both telnet and ftp are useful if your not authenticating with them on a public network like the internet.  I have just started using sftp with ssh version 2.  It is pretty neat stuff.  They even have windows clients that can connect using them and will give you an explorer view.  I don't know if there are many security risks to anonymous ftp but if you just want to make files available to anyone it isn't hard to setup.  On the windows note cygwin ships swith openssl and opensssh now.  It is quite impressive.  scp works pretty good but I end up taring everything into one file to make the transfer easier.

When my gateway got hacked I noticed my network going down.  My wifes computer with its own internet ip ( not behind my gateway that got hacked ) was affected as well.  I had noticed that the default output format for ps had changed.  I ran a top and a process that wasn't showing in ps was taking 100% of my cpu.  I beleive someone gained root access and installed a root kit.  I have no idea what it was doing but it really made me feel stupid for allowing it to happen and not figuring it out sooner ( I noticed the ps changes several months beforehand ).  Just thought I would share my experiences of being hacked and what I had to work with.  I beleive some of the newer root kits will overwrite top as well.  This means it might be pretty hard to find offending processes.  Anyone else have any experience cleaning up behind a script kiddie?

-Jon W