[olug] Quiet

Nick Walter waltern at iivip.com
Wed Jul 25 14:27:10 UTC 2001

In regards to points 2 and 3:

You can set up a DNS server to over-ride the naming of any IP address.  I'm
particularly a fan of pointing *.doubleclick.net and other
advertisers/pop-up abusers to 127.0.0.1.  Depending on your nsswitch.conf
setup, you can ever override DNS naming with a hosts file.  There's a decent
HOWTO on linuxdoc.org for learning how to set up named.

If you register a DNS name against a dynamic ip address, you could get
burned.  If the ip address ever changes, it's hard to propagate your new ip
address through all the caching DNS servers in the world.  For maximum ease
with this, I'd recommend using one of the dynamic dns services (dyndns.org
for example) to do your dns hosting.  If you think your ip address will stay
static, then you can just register a domain name and set up BIND on one of
your own servers as the authoritative master name server for your domain.

Hope this helps

-Nick Walter