[olug] Cygwin

Jon thechunk at thechunk.dhs.org
Thu Jul 19 21:12:08 UTC 2001

Yes.  Easy.  Cygwin has its own installer that downloads all available packages ( quite a list ) and then you download the 4.1.0 directory from there X ftp server and follow the how to for initial configuration.  Quite painless.

get cygwin here-http://www.cygwin.com ( download the get cygwin now app and run it.  It will prompt you for a default install. )

Xfree86 how to is here-http://www.cygwin.com/xfree/docs/ug/cygwin-xfree-ug.html

ftp server for xfree86 ( very fast)-ftp://ftp.nas.nasa.gov/mirrors/cygwin.com/pub/cygwin/xfree

I recomend the ftp.nas.nasa.gov server for the cygwin install as well ( it will give you a list to choose from ) because It is a very low volume server in my experience.

Hope this helps anyone interested in it.

PS There is a problem with Xterm in the current build of Xfree86 for cygwin that prevents it from exiting properly.  They have a fixed binary but it still won't exit if your running window maker.  Windowmaker can be built from source when you get cygwin and X setup.

-Jon W