[olug] Cygwin

Matt Payne payne at acm.org
Wed Jul 18 21:50:44 UTC 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Jon wrote:

> Just upgraded my cywin downloaded the latest cygwin Xfree 86 build and
> downloaded windowmaker sources.  Built like a champ and is running
> great in a directx window. Anyone stuck on NT that wants a fast cheap
> X server I can't think of anything better.  Couldn't get black box to
> compile and I doubt kde is anywhere near the shape it would ned to be
> in.  Anyway biggest problem is cut and past from X to windows and vice
> versa.
>
> -Jon

Jon - This is *AWSOME*

It would be great to know how to get this to work.
How many PC labs are out there (in high school and colleges) where they
mirror the PCs.  To have cygwin with X windows configured on these
machines would allow people (e.g. students) to use tons of X windows based
tools off of a UNIX (Linux) server in the closet somewhere.  Lots of
people could use GIMP, ghostview, and tons of other X based programs!

Is setting up cygwin to do this easy?   Is there one HOWTO document?

Thanks!!

--
Matt Payne, (402) 960-3871  Payne at ACM.org
                                   \|/