[olug] Cox at home

Phil Brutsche pbrutsch at creighton.edu
Mon Jul 16 16:22:01 UTC 2001

Quoting quinn at kalteisen.com:

> I'm in Gretna and we are just getting COX now, so I'm looking at
> COX at home.  They told me I have the choice of using a cable modem from
> them or getting my own.  How good are the ones they offer and how well
> do they work with Linux?

*All* cable modem implementations I've seen use an "black box" (it probably
won't be black, but you get the idea) external to any computer.  This is all
any computer needs to be able to connect via Cox at Home:

1) An IP implementation
2) Ethernet
3) A DHCP client

AKA just about any operating system produced on any computer platform in the
US in the last 5 years or so will work out of the box.

>	I was just at the computer2go website and saw they have a cable
> modem for $180 that connect to the PC via ethernet, so that would be an
> easy install.

Rent one or buy one: 'tis your call!

> I'm on RedHat 7.1

Only a problem for the clueless "techie" (that's a kind word for those
people) that'll show up to get your internet connection to work.

Phil