[olug] My console has fallen and it can't get up

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Wed Jan 31 23:30:26 UTC 2001

On Wed, Jan 31, 2001 at 04:40:30PM -0600, dbw wrote:
> So, I’ve got this linux server that is basically only a firewall
> / IP Masquerade. There are no ports listening for connections on
> telnet, ssh, rlogin or otherwise.  The box has been running for a
> couple months now without restart and or incident.  (uptime approx.
> 65 days)  The distribution is Redhat and the kernel is 2.2.16 (or
> in that neighborhood).
>
> The box was running in Xwindows, the screensaver on, and after a
> keystroke the screensaver password prompt appeared. I attempted to
> enter my password so I could access the environment and do some work.
> I typed in my password and hit the ENTER key...

<snip>

> (append)
>
> I doubt this is a hardware issue or I believe that the box would
> not be functioning at all.  I am disappointed that this is happening,
> I choose linux as a solution for this task because I was avoiding
> this very thing from happening; the type of thing that happens in
> Micro$oft environment.

There is no reason to be running X on a machine dedicated to a firewall
and from everything I have read definitely not recommended.  Kill the X
stuff and I bet you won't have the problem again.
Take a look at -
http://www.openna.com/resources/articles/v1.3-xml/index.htm
Step by step guide to building a firewall with redhat and other goodies.
kent

--
I'd really love ta wana help ya Flanders but... Homer Simpson