[olug] linux based handheld

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Sun Jan 28 04:41:04 UTC 2001

I have a Palm IIIxe and love it.  The graffi is pretty easy
to learn, but I wouldn't want to take notes with it.  But
you can get keyboards for it that run well.

As far as email and Internet goes, I used to send email and
do a bit of surfing with my Palm hooked up to my SprintPCS
phone.  The cable was $100, which sucked.  You used to be
able to buy a small modem (14.4Kb, which isn't bad when it's
just text).  I have also heard that Palm is going to be
doing a big push to put WAP on their stuff (only the Palm
VII has it now, because it's got the wireless modem
built-in).  I think the WAP package is $40, plus whatever it
costs for the phone cable/modem.  For email, I registered
Eudora for Palm, which works slick.  As far as the keyboard
goes, you can't be hooked to the net and type on the
keyboard at the same time, since the only connection is a
serial port.  (Supposably, part of the Palm/WAP stuff is
software that talks through the Palm IR port to the cell
phones IR port.  Of course, if you don't have an IR port on
your phone, you have to buy the $100 cable).

Palm does have good deskop software in Linux, but it doesn't
run Linux!!  I have to plead ignorance on that.  But I can't
recommend a Palm enough.  A good site for Palm info is
palmstation.com.

Mike

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001 19:53:31 -0600 Rado Bonk <Rado Bonk <rado at cosmos.dsc.unomaha.edu>> wrote:

> Hi guys,
> There is a lot of news running around concerning portable devices,
> specificaly handhelds. I would like to know if it is possible to send
> e-mail using these handhelds, and whether they have some other nice
> features than making notes or contacts (I preffer a paper-based notebook).
> What is the situation in Linux based handhelds.
>
> 	Rado
>
> Rado Bonk
> Geography and Geology
> UNO, Nebraska, 68182-0199,
> rado at cosmos.unomaha.edu

Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas
GnuPG key: http://www.binary.net/thehaas/mikeh.gpg

"What good is having someone who can walk on water if you don't follow
in his footsteps?"