[olug] dd --- the coolest utility ever

Jeremy Bettis jeremyb at hksys.com
Mon Jan 22 16:37:30 UTC 2001

No no never ever use cp to copy file trees, you will lose all of your device
files, sym links, and even with the -p option you may lose some permissions.
The correct way to copy files from one drive is always: (as root)

( cd /source ; tar cf - . ) | ( cd /dest ; tar xvf - )
--
Jeremy Bettis -- Software Development Manager
Hickman-Kenyon Systems, Inc.
jeremyb at hksys.com