[olug] 486-33 chokes on cdrom

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Mon Jan 15 23:21:40 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 05:16:14PM -0600, Mike McNally wrote:
> On Mon 15 Jan 2001, ktb wrote:
>
> > You have it right.  The HD should be master and CDROM slave.  If you are
> > chaining both drives off of one cable and the bios can't handle this I
> > would suggest trying two cables.  One for the HD and one for the CDROM.
> > One other thing you might try if you haven't is go into the bios
> > and set or let the bios auto-detect your drives.  This is often important
> > to do for each change you make dealing with the controller.  Save and exit.
> > hth,
> > kent
>

> In order to use 2 cables I would need to find 2 male connectors (plugs?) on
> the motherboard... right?  There's only one.  There is no autodetect.  The
> bios harddrive line has to have the proper no. of cyl hd sec in it or I get
> a bios/ide_controller error.  Searchin for potential software bios update
> right now...

I see from your original post you are going to use this computer as a
firewall.  May I ask what you need a cdrom for?  All you need is the
base and a few extra packages for a firewall.  If you have a fast
connection you could install it off the net in no time.  You could also
pull the drive out of the computer your working on and use one of your
other computers to install the OS on it and then swap it back.  If worse
comes to worse you could always do a floppy install.
kent

--
I'd really love to wana help you Flanders but...  Homer Simpson