[olug] 486-33 chokes on cdrom

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Mon Jan 15 22:18:53 UTC 2001

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 03:29:24PM -0600, Mike McNally wrote:
> On Sun 07 Jan 2001, David Walker wrote:
>
> > try the cdrom by itself (jumpered as master). see if it hangs or tries to
> > boot from a boot floppy
>
> It hangs with a bios error, then I change the harddrive bios line to
> uninstalled and then it boots from floppy and the cdrom works fine.
>
> I can boot the harddrive off of either cable plug, so the cable is ok.
> But if I jmpr the hd for mstr and the cdrom for slave (that's right
> isn't it?) it just hangs.  I have no other explanation than that the
> ide controller is unable to deal with 2 devices.

You have it right.  The HD should be master and CDROM slave.  If you are
chaining both drives off of one cable and the bios can't handle this I
would suggest trying two cables.  One for the HD and one for the CDROM.
One other thing you might try if you haven't is go into the bios
and set or let the bios auto-detect your drives.  This is often important
to do for each change you make dealing with the controller.  Save and exit.
hth,
kent

--
  "In order to make an apple pie from scratch,
      you must first create the universe."