[olug] Firewall/NAT/Router Questions

Eric Penne epenne at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 15 16:25:16 UTC 2001

OK I'm very confused.  My 4GB hard drive crashed on my web server this
weekend, so I thought now would be a good time to set up a firewall and
allow me to have more than one PC in my house.  I will explain my
ultimate goal at the end of the email if I remember.

First I installed TurboLinux on a machine with 2 ethernet cards.  Using
a 10Mb/s to the DSL router and 100Mb/s to the switch.  the outside
connection is eth0 and the internal network is eth1.

Is a firewall the same as NAT?  How is this different from a router?  I
think I understand that a router cannot route packets from one netmask
to another netmask.  So to get this to work I have to set up ipmasq for
2.2 kernels or netfilter for 2.4 kernels.  Another thing I noticed was
ipalias, what is that?

I think the first thing I should do with my turbolinux installation is
upgrade everything to the 2.4 kernel and compile my own then go with
netfilter.  Next I need to make sure the external network eth0 works
and then the internal network eth1 works.  I've tried finding some info
on Route in the man pages and the Net-HOWTO but both seem to be to
confusing to me right now.

Now ish da time on shprockets when we rant.

Why do does Debian piss me off so?
Because it's bootdisks never want to go.
Using rawrite 2, 1.3 and 1.2,
the disks always fail, what do I do?

That was my lame attempt at poetry, but pretty well describes my
loathing for debian.  Slackware, TurboLinux, and Redhat all worked
perfectly for me to make bootdisks but I have never had a Debian
bootdisk work correctly.  I can also never find a Debian ISO and their
documentation on their site about what to download to install a base
system and upgrade later is horribly confusing and has many recursive
links.

Oh yeah, my ultimate PC goal for my house.  Of course it will have a
central webserver and lots of HD space.  All my home videos will be
converted to MPG2 and stored there.  My CD collection in mp3 or ogg
will be there.  Also pics of the family will be stored there and be
available to the outside world.  In the TV room I will have a PC w/DVD,
hardware decompression, Dolby Digital out, firewire, wireless
networking.  This PC will be used as the entertainment system and can
pull pics, home videos, and mp3 music from the central server.  It will
also have a TV tuner and large storage so it can be like my 2nd TiVo.
Using this I can record a program and send it to a friend later.  I
will also have a personal use compter for me so I can scan my pictures,
rip my CDs, create my home videos on the computer using firewire, USB
cam streaming, and general surfing that I don't do on my entertainment
PC connected to the TV.  Why do I want to do this?  Because I can.  I
think it is the next best thing to total convergence and I want to.  It
is also a bragging rights thing to my wife's boss.  He's a geek also
and it would be cool to have something he doesn't have. :)  I almost
have my wife convinced that this would be cool!!

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/