[olug] Path statement

Jason Ferguson jferguson3 at home.com
Sat Jan 13 22:40:14 UTC 2001

OOoooo, one I can handle.

Nate, keep in mind that your normal user account and the root account have
different paths.  Lilo and fdisk are probably in the /sbin directory. Ive
noticed that as root I can run those, but as a normal user, I have to go
to that directory.

Now, the PATH statement may be set in your .bashrc, .bash_profile, or
whatever config you have for your shell (Im assuming you use bash). Also,
look at the file /etc/profile, which sets info for all system users.

Your path statement should look something like this:

PATH="/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11:/usr/games"

Notice each directory is separated by a colon. Now, add in /sbin,
/usr/sbin, and any other directory you want to be able to access from
anywhere.

Good luck,
Jason