[olug] Help for partition for SuSE 7.0

Mike Hostetler thehaas at binary.net
Wed Jan 10 04:01:16 UTC 2001

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001 18:09:53 -0600 Chris M Miller <Chris M Miller <cmmiller73 at juno.com>> wrote:

> I'm trying to make a dual-boot machine with Windows 2000 Professional and
> SuSE 7.0.  I boot off of the CD-ROM and then start using YAST2 and get to
> the Custom Partitoning - For Experts Screen.  Unfortunally, they do not
> give enough information on how to do this.

It is quite, quite uninitutive on how SuSE does this. Don't feel too bad
about it.

> What I want to do is give both Windows and Linux 15GB on the Hard Drive
> (its 30gb HD).  I get to this screen and then I get stuck
>

> Device		Start		End		Size		Type
> /dev/hdc/	0		1026		7,86GB		WDCWD307AA00BAA0
> /dev/hdc1	0		3737		28.6GB		HPFS/NTFS
>

> Then there are buttons to chose from:  Create, Delete, Edit, Reset &
> Re-Read, Back, Abort Installation, and Next.  I'm not sure what to do

It looks like you have two paritions on that drive.  If you are willing
to lose the data, hit Delete for both paritions, and then Create two more
using the size you want.  When you choose Create, it will (finally!) be
initutive on how to choose size, type, etc.

A little off the subject, I have been a SuSE user for along time, but it
seems to me that, when SuSE gets a solid distro, they muck it up totally
by making a dot-0 release.  6.4 was great, but I haven't been too happy
with 7.0 - like their Netscape package not working right out of the box
(I hope you have better luck with that).  Just a warning.

And I may make it to the meeting on the 18th . .. I know, wonders never
cease.

- mikeh

--
Mike Hostetler
thehaas at binary.net
http://www.binary.net/thehaas
GnuPG key: http://www.binary.net/thehaas/mikeh.gpg

"What good is having someone who can walk on water if you don't follow
in his footsteps?"