[olug] Distributions

dbw lug at robotz.com
Mon Feb 19 19:52:12 UTC 2001

Slackware was my first distribution. I still prefer many things about
it as compared to the majority of other Linux distributions.  Would
I recommend it for an install fest or for the beginning Linux user?
The answer is “no”.

>Okay, I know, Im risking starting a holy war here.  However, hear me
>out.

I suggest that we focus on two individual distributions!  Just two,
that should prevent any holy wars.

1. The widely acclaimed and most popular Redhat Linux distribution.
I suggest version 6.2, I always recommend the dot-two versions
of Redhat.

2. For those too cool for Redhat, I suggest debian as the second.
There are many people that have not tried out this distribution
and it seems to have appeal among some of the more technically savvy
users.  It’s not my first choice but it is mentioned quite a lot
here in the mail list.

However, I would NOT suggest Mandrake
 well because

>Why not just make an OLUG distro?  All you have to do is replace the
>logos and a few text files and you're done.  If Mandrake can do it,
>anyone can...

- Vincent <vraffensberger at home.com>

That’s why; I pretty much see it the same as Vincent.

Mandrake is really not a mainstream distribution.  It doesn’t appeal
to the ultra-geek nor does it have any appeal for commercial application.

For #2 I would say “Slackware” but I know that Jason and some other
members are big on debian so I feel that among our group, debian
seems to have wide spread appeal.  Also, it would give me the opportunity
to try it again and maybe discover things that I missed the first
time around.

Redhat and debian.

Further comments available at the following URL:
http://linux.dbw.org/articles/my_first_linux.html

-dbw

___   / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   commando at robotz.com   ___