[olug] Distributions

JKENNEDY at UP.COM JKENNEDY at UP.COM
Fri Feb 16 19:47:00 UTC 2001

Jason,
I tend to agree with the Mandrake thought.  As for the RedHat twist, you
can push Mandrake as a RedHat variant.  SuSe is good but that would be alot
of disk to copy.  I think you'd want to have copies of 3 distros on hand
with the majority being the default (Mandrake) distro.  This would add some
variety and choice which is what Linux is all about...
Just my thoughts, however incoherent they may be...
John

Jason Ferguson at INTERNET
02/16/2001 12:14 PM

Please respond to olug at bstc.net

Sent by:  ferguson at INTERNET

To:   olug at bstc.net
cc:

Subject:  [olug] Distributions

Okay, I know, Im risking starting a holy war here.  However, hear me
out.

Im starting the initial planning for the next Installfest (target date
is a Saturday in April). However, as part of this, I want to make
distributions available for people bringing in their systems for the
install.

My first choice of a "default distro" would be Mandrake, if they have a
2.4 based one out by then.  My reasoning is that a) its easy to install,
b) I _think_ it supports ReiserFS out of the box.  SuSe also fits this
discription.

The problem: most people are going to have only heard of Redhat.
Personally, I decided that if Redhat 7.0 was their idea of a good
distribution, I was switching to Debian. Storm is pretty easy to
install, but the company declared bankruptcy two weeks ago, no telling
if they are going to be around.  Progeny isnt there yet, etc, etc.

I know that alot of the answers are going to be "have everything
available".  However, this isnt the best solution.  If we burn some CDs
ahead of time, if we burn EVERYTHING, we risk running out of the CDs
everyone wants and having extras of what noone wants. I hope everyone
follows me here. Im going to be looking for volunteers to burn CDs next
month.

So, what do you guys suggest?  My best solution right now is Mandrake.
However, so of you guys/gals may have better ideas.

Jason
OLUG Vice-Benevolent Dictator

For additional commands, e-mail: olug-help at bstc.net