[olug] My console has fallen and it can't get up

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Thu Feb 15 15:54:49 UTC 2001

I think the fact that it's hooked up through a KVM is rather pertinent.

I have a KVM here at work (Black Box Affinity, cost several thousand
dollars) and it had a similar problem with our Novell servers.  The problem
was that we had the mouse cable hooked up and the Novell server didn't use
a mouse.  Why this was a problem I don't know, but after we unhooked the
mouse cables and restarted the servers, it's never happened again.  The
servers were fine when this happened as we could still rconsole to them,
log into them, and all services remained up.

Try the box without the KVM and see if it happens.  If it doesn't, you've
found the problem.

Bill

                    dbw
                    <lug at robotz.c        To:     olug at bstc.net
                    om>                  cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: [olug] My console has fallen and it can't get
                    02/14/01             up
                    11:13 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    olug

3. System is on a KVM switch serving several other PC servers and
the keyboard works fine on those other systems.
Derek