[olug] My console has fallen and it can't get up

bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu bbrush at unlnotes.unl.edu
Tue Feb 13 20:31:04 UTC 2001

Just a suggestion, but it might be the keyboard.  Sometimes when a piece of
equipment is going bad it will work for limited periods of time.  Try
another keyboard and see if it works.

Bill

                    dbw
                    <lug at robotz.c        To:     olug at bstc.net
                    om>                  cc:
                                         Subject:     Re: [olug] My console has fallen and it can't get
                    02/13/01             up
                    11:23 AM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    olug

This just happened again on the same box.  This time I was NOT in
X11 and it had nothing to do with the X screensaver.  The machine
froze at the login prompt; once again the keyboard was completely
unresponsive.  I suspect that the fact I was in an X session the
first time is incidental.  Once again the console is completely dead.

Last time I received a lot of "press this key and then press that"
suggestions.  I will reiterate the fact that the keyboard does not
respond, not even CNTRL-ALT-DELETE does anything.  It is not a hardware
problem with the KB, after all, when I restart the system by killing
the power then the system comes back and the keyboard is fine.

For additional commands, e-mail: olug-help at bstc.net