[olug] My console has fallen and it can't get up

dbw lug at robotz.com
Tue Feb 13 17:23:31 UTC 2001

This just happened again on the same box.  This time I was NOT in
X11 and it had nothing to do with the X screensaver.  The machine
froze at the login prompt; once again the keyboard was completely
unresponsive.  I suspect that the fact I was in an X session the
first time is incidental.  Once again the console is completely dead.

Last time I received a lot of “press this key and then press that”
suggestions.  I will reiterate the fact that the keyboard does not
respond, not even CNTRL-ALT-DELETE does anything.  It is not a hardware
problem with the KB, after all, when I restart the system by killing
the power then the system comes back and the keyboard is fine.

I want to take up Phil Brutsche on his suggestion to put a getty
on one of the machines serial ports.  I do not want to run ssh or
any remote login services for security reasons, but accessing the
machine via the serial port would be a great solution.

Could someone please offer me some information or resource on how
to accomplish this?  I am guessing that using minicom on another
machine I would be able to access a login prompt of the afflicted
machine via the serial port.

Thank you,

-Derek

____   / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   commando at robotz.com   ___