[olug] Samba rant and request for feedback

Brian Roberson brian at bstc.net
Fri Feb 9 02:27:51 UTC 2001

Hi Derek,

    I guess you havent looked at the samba team membership lately, cause
you'll see my name ;-)  ( Or you have, that's why you are asking this in an
"around the bush" way :)  In any event, I have setup/used samba in 100+ user
environments ( yes, as a NT-PDC ) and It work's great, yes there are a few
pitfalls with the NT-acl issues ( file perm changing etc.. ) these are
mostly due to nt-acl not being inline with the posix semantics. etc.. etc..
etc... ( I could go on for day's )  Anyway's , post your config somewhere
and we call all take a look at it and go from there. now, I am under the
impression you are using roaming profiles, as you've stated they get
corrupt.. etc... do you have the logon path setup or are the profiles being
written to the user's home directory? also, you've mentioned you where using
`create mask 0777` on one of your shares, I have _always_ had issue with
this in large user environments ( ideally you'd want to use the `force
create mode` instead ( remember, `create mask` bit-wise and's the
permision's with what the client is requesting to save the file as ) the not
being able to logon sound like permision issue's as well ( file that is )
weird thing's happen when window's messes up the profile some way, etc... so
sure, post the config and we'll go from there.