[olug] Unix Resource Needed

dbw lug at robotz.com
Mon Feb 5 19:19:25 UTC 2001

I hope that Dean Fife has not been permanently discouraged from participating
on the OLUG mailing list.  I would agree with Brian Roberson’s concerns
and flaming of Mr. Fife if and only if Dean Fife had posted an NT
Administrator’s position available job where the work dealt with
Micro$oft ONLY and was completely Linux/UNIX/*nix unrelated. :o)

I personally found myself more annoyed with John Dietz’s post in
January- topic “Off Topic---MS Office 2000” which was a post that
only had to do with Micro$oft product support.

And I found myself further irritated by his response to David Walker’s
suggestion to use Star Office where as John Dietz replied “Personally,
I don't like having to use Micro$oft products, but that is what
makes the world go round right now because no one wants to learn
Linux or UNIX. “

I doubt that anyone here does not already realize that Micro$oft
has majority market share in the desktop computing environment.
It would be ok if we were not patronized with obvious and condescending
information as members of a Linux/UNIX/*nix mailing list.  It doesn’t
matter “who’s got the fattest cow”, however, it does matter “who’s
got the best quality beef”, right? (oops, the farm boy in me came
out)

However, I would not suggest banning John Dietz or anything drastic
like that.  I would not even suggest being rude to him; after all
he might be a really great guy.  I might ask that he not submit Micro$oft
posts and that he might be better to seek support through the appropriate
Micro$oft mailing list or support forum(s).  Since Micro$oft is what
everyone is using “sarcasm directed towards his statement” then one
might think that there would be far more Micro$oft related mailing
lists and support forums.

But I am not an officer of OLUG and I want to be clear that I think
Brian and Jason do a great job with OLUG.  We are fortunate that
we even have a Linux Group in our area.  There are not even such
groups in a lot of areas and many other groups have not been nearly
as successful as our OLUG.

We all have days were we are not in the best of moods and things
that we would otherwise overlook somehow irritate us to where we
say things and respond in ways that we would not on almost any other
occasion.  I personally took Brian’s comments considering that he
may have been having an off day.  It is certainly not serious enough
to discuss too much and hopefully not anywhere near serious enough
to impact members of the group or recourse in membership declination.

Also, I appreciated when Brian mentioned that we are all entitled
to our opinions.  This is the democratic (as in democracy) approach
that allows us all to speak our minds.  If anyone remembers the days
of IRC where as you would get banned from a chat room on just about
any excuse, usually for expression, you can now appreciate a form
that allows you to be open and speak freely.

My two cents worth... or worthless... you be the judge! :o)

At Wednesday, 31 January 2001, you wrote:

>Hello, my name is Dean Fife and I am the Unix focal for the Custom
Solutions

____   / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   commando at robotz.com   __