[olug] My console has fallen and it can't get up

dbw lug at robotz.com
Thu Feb 1 00:32:10 UTC 2001

Jason,

You referred to Quote:("Magic SysReqKey" compiled in).  Is this something
I would have had to configure manually or would RH have pre-configured
this by default?  I know I did not compile in anything like that
manually so it would only be there if it was there by default.  After
looking in /Documentation I did not see anything about “SysReqKey”.
I am unfamiliar with this, could you please elaborate?

"puzzled at home.com" <puzzled at home.com> ,

I would like to try these "keyboard" methods, but as I stated in
my first message, the keyboard does not respond.  (Please see prior
message for details)  I know I made mention of it more than once,
and on one occasion I mentioned that CNTRL-ALT-DELETE did not even
work.

ktb <x.y.f at home.com> ,

This falls under “preventative medicine” and I definitely agree with
you; I guess I learned my lesson.  Xwindows may very well be the
culprit since it was left running and now the console is frozen with
the Xwindows screen saver being the only thing visible.  It just
seems odd that I cannot access the other consoles.  The keyboard,
although connected and lit (the lights), is completely unresponsive.
It does not even allow me to change caps lock state.

Thank you for the URL to the article.  Incidentally, I did actually
have the -nolisten specified for Xwindows so the outside world wouldn't
see the port listening while I was in an X session.

Also, you mentioned "ssh" and I believe if I had that service running
I would be able to access the server.  My hesitation on installing
any type of remote access including even the secure shell manifested
from the last ssh exploit reported on linuxsecurity.com  As you said,
if I could configure that to listen only to my private LAN theoretically
this would be secure, but I still have hesitation.  But right now
I am wishing that I had a secure shell to log into.

Mike McNally,

Again, I would like to kill X or whatever but the keyboard does not
respond.  If I could only get to a shell :o)

I kind of remember something like this happening to me on a slackware
linux workstation at home while running Netscape as you said.

The Xwindows screen saver is history, I am not going to trust it
anymore, especially on a production server.

 it’s pretty much looking like a cold hard reboot is the only solution

,unless I just let the box run as it is, since it is working (from
the perspective that the ipchains and tcp stuff is functioning.
Eventually, I will need to do something because I need to add a couple
rules on the ipchains I have running.  I doubt this has anything
to do with an exploit or compromised box but not being able to look
into it makes me uneasy.

Anyway, thanks everyone!

-dbw

____   / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /   commando at robotz.com   __