[olug] Linux Web Server Distros

ktb x.y.f at home.com
Fri Dec 21 19:17:34 UTC 2001

On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 12:28:40PM -0600, Dan DeVries wrote:
> Then there are also the build it from scratch aka. Linux From Scratch if you can
> even call this a distro. These systems aren't as bloated as the usual Linux
> distro.  I admit a newbie probably wouldn't actually do this.  Not to mention,
> how many times do you install Linux on a machine, once right unless you are
> intentionaly reinstalling for testing or something similar.  Still there is
> something to be said about understanding whats under the hood and I'm not just
> talking about just the kernel.  There are several packages to a whole install
> such as fileutils, findutils, glibc, gcc, bin86, procps, modutils etc... to
> mention a few.   Plus, creating your filesystem manually, chrooting your
> environment to install everything to and actually compiling all your programs
> rather than installing binaries.  If you wanted instead of SysV style init
> scripts you could make BSD style init scripts, the point is you have more
> control, even more of a choice and its a learning experience.  Note this isn't as
> easy as installing from a normal distro.

I agree LFS is a great learning tool.  I use an LFS build on my main
machine at home.  It is hard for a newbie but I had only used linux for
about a year and got though my first LFS build.  With a lot of help from
their user list of course.
kent

--
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the
   same level of thinking we were at when we created them."

For help contact olug-help at bstc.net - run by ezmlm
(c)2001 OLUG http://www.olug.org