[olug] eth0 question

Mike Peterson mpeterson at charles.coxatwork.com
Tue Aug 28 21:38:47 UTC 2001

Are you referring to BIOS PnP or Ethernet card PnP settings?
On a gateway p75 I had to leave PnP enabled under Redhat for it to see a
3COM ISA card.
I also do dual booting, but leave PnP turned on in the BIOS and on the PCI
cards and all works fine.
With Redhat 7.1, Mandrake 8.1 beta and Conectiva 7, I am not dual booting
and they are having problems detecting cards that Coyote likes fine.
The two cards I was working with are Netgear FA-710TX and Realtek 8029.
I am currently burning in the system on Windows 2000 Pro to see if I have
motherboard or RAM problems.
I had to remove the 96 MB RAM and put it in another system and I increased
the base RAM to 128 MB.
I had a suggestion of changing the PCI slots for the 2.4 kernel Linux
releases and I will do that near the end of the week.
I have 2 servers running Redhat 7.1 and they are working fine.
The system I am having trouble with is a system that I use to test NIC
cards.

The original question below was about Redhat 7.0 and they had disable PnP on
the card.
Should they not also disable PnP in the CMOS also then?