@home

Daniel Pfile pfiled at marietta.edu
Thu Aug 23 22:01:38 UTC 2001

--On Thursday, August 23, 2001 4:52 PM -0500 "Smith, Daniel E."
<DESmith at West.com> wrote:

> The only thing that every one is forgetting is that in the @home contract
> is says that you are forbidden to run a server on your cable modem
> connection. So If you are, they do have the right by the contract to take
> away your service. I know it sucks but that is why they have the more
> expensive @work, and you can always get dsl. If you buy static ip's
> (about $120 a month) you can do what ever you want.

I'm aware of that, but that's a business service. I'm not a business, I'll
never move data like a business. Personally I have a choice of 3 different
high speed locations to stick any data I want on. I think if you're going
to move alot of data you should be paying extra, or paying for
colocation/vhosting, whatever.

At home I'm a user and a hobbiest, @work is out of my price range. Like I
said, why not just charge $5 more a month for the privilage of having
inbound ports? You're still restricted to what trafic you can move, you've
just got a slightly higher level of service... @home Pro if you will. @work
is still for real business users. If we're modifying the aup they can nix
that not running servers thing or change it to something more reasonable.
Technicly alot of stuff is a server, some games even. I'd like to see them
ban a user for playing a game, since they _could_.

-- Daniel