@home

David Walker linux_user at grax.com
Thu Aug 23 18:40:10 UTC 2001

If you want to read about what can happen when machines are allowed to
become zombies read
http://grc.com/dos/grcdos.htm

Insecure machines are a danger to the internet.  Undernet and other chat
networks were the victims of massive DDOS attacks that convinced many of
those hosting chat servers that it wasn't worth the trouble.  Undernet
lost many servers that way.  DOS attacks took down a series of high
profile sites (yahoo, amazon, etc.  see
http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/main/0,5594,2434548,00.html)

Running a web or mail server is not a danger to society but running a
machine with gaping security holes (ie nearly all windows machines) is.
Since we can't easily rewrite or patch the problems our only other
recourse is to block them.

It looks like we all like the "opt out" plan.  Who's gonna go tell @home
that that's what we want?