@home

Jon thechunk at home.com
Thu Aug 23 07:29:18 UTC 2001

I guess I understand the "no server" policy.  However they came to a happy medium. They put an upstream bottleneck.  Things have gone very well for me over the last two years.  No problems.  Even now I am using ssh to connect from work to my sshd server running at my home.  Should this be banned as well?  Personally I have to beleive the users of the network should be responsible for there machines.  A friend fo mine was informed by Cox of shady activity from his computer and given a time line to fix it.  I can't say they can easily monitor there networks that well but I think that is an appropriate response.  I don't mind them blocking port 80.  I mind it being available for so long and being blocked with no notice.  Of course they reserve the right and I just payed for the cable modem hardware.  I am not switching services soon and can send links to family/friends with port 81 in it instead of 80 and all works well.  I just wish they would let people know they are doing this.  They weren't shy about informing us of the rate hikes.  In a way I hope Cox dumps at home and does there own data connections.  I am scared that with the possible death of @home I may lose my cable modem.  Too bad bandwidth advances so slowly.

-Jon W.