[olug] Has @home shut down mail/http ?

Phil Brutsche phil at giedi.obix.com
Sat Aug 18 22:13:53 UTC 2001

> This is wonderful.  They up their prices, cut staff and take away our
> ability to run servers.

They never promised us the ability to run servers.

For those of us that have been running servers we've most likely been
violating their Terms of Service which we agreed to when we got their
internet access service.

> It sounds like you have a work around.

:)

> I was wondering if you could explain a little farther.  Are you saying
> you have a VPN setup from say, a server at work and your home machine?
> Are you able to maintain your mail server at home because SMTP and or
> DNS is tunneled through your VPN and escapes @home's filter? Thanks,

What I have is a cipe VPN between one of the computers I have "co-located"
at Creighton University and my home network.

I have the MX record for giedi.obix.com pointed to tux.creighton.edu;
tux.creighton.edu runs Exim, which is smart enough to relay an abritrary
domain to an arbitrary IP number.

All my DNS needs are served by the DNS servers I control at work and are
separate (for the time being) from any machines I personally own.

Phil