[olug] identd still not working

Neal Rauhauser isptech at americanrelay.com
Wed Aug 15 19:14:28 UTC 2001

 Are you running something like pmfirewall that is blocking the ident
requests? Are you IRCing as root? That will certainly not fly :-)

 Do this:

ping irc.box.you.want.to.reach.com

tcpdump host 1.2.3.4 > irc.txt

  Where 1.2.3.4 is the actual IP of the irc server. Examine the content
- do you see an ident connection coming from the target system? If you
find tcpdump to be arcane you can always load the ethereal network
analyzer - I think it is available in RPM form.

 barlow wrote:

> this is from my /etc/inetd.conf file. I see that the auth line is
> uncommented. thats the way it should look right?
>
> #
> # Authentication
> #
> auth   stream  tcp     nowait    nobody    /usr/sbin/in.identd in.identd -l
> -e -o
> #
> # Linuxconf Web Interface:
> #
>
> this is from the /etc/services file
> auth            113/tcp         authentication tap ident
> sftp            115/tcp
>  also not commented. i still can not get this thing to connect to irc dalnet
> or efnet. can anybody tell me a good book that covers linux pretty well? i
> have a book called " a practical guide to linux" but i have not read it yet.
> has anybody read this book? its by a mr.sobell i think.

Neal Rauhauser CCNP, CCDP			phone: 402-951-6390
http://AmericanRelay.com			fax  : 402-951-6390
mailto:nealr at americanrelay.com			fcc  : k0bsd