[olug] getting on dalnet

barlow barlow at home.com
Sat Aug 11 21:22:41 UTC 2001

On Saturday 11 August 2001 04:21 pm, you wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2001 at 02:46:36PM -0400, barlow wrote:
> > Mike thanks for the help. I did used the command you told me and got
> > nothing from the search on ident. So I logged in as root and went to the
> > file /etc/services and i did use vi :-) but I did not see an entry for
> > ident any place. So now i'm searching for the package on my install cd.
> > If this is not the next step I should take someone please let me know.
> > thank for your time and help.
>
> Good . . . your using vi. =) Yeah, and it if isn't in /etc/services there
> should be a package for it on your distro.
>
> Mike

can anybody break this line down and tell me what it means please. mike if
your reading this i ran the command you told me again after a reboot and i
got this
500        1080  0.0  0.3  1284    492 pts/1         s        17:02
0:00  grep ident

i still dont see it any place in the /etc/service file. i all so do not seem
to have a man page on this topic. can i add it to the file myself and under
what port does it listen on? thanks for your time and help

barlow