[olug] RE: [OLUG] Linux install

Brian Roberson brian at bstc.net
Tue Aug 7 13:54:47 UTC 2001

I use SuSE in enterprise class systems for a few simple reasons. logical
volumes, and reiserFS ( journalled filesystem ) SuSE supports them out of
the box without any issues. SuSE also uses rpm for package management which
simplifies software installs. the management utility that suse has ( YaST,
yet another system administration tool ) is directly in line with other
enterprise class unix's such as AIX and HPUX.

here s my 2 cents:

RedHat - too much hand-holding, answers vital security questions by itself
( but most commercial applications are geared towards it's use )
Mandrake / any dirivitave - about the same as RH
Debian - ok
slackware - archaic, simply due to package management ( I started on
slackware, so its ok ;-) still not enterprise ready.
SuSE - enterprise ready, lots of apps, highly configurable at setup / after
setup conforms to LSB
Caldera - being merged with SCO/Unixware/whatever
SCO - YUK
Corel - Pretty
OpenBSD - great firewall, I use it at home on the cable modem, very, very
secure
NetBSD - ok router
FreeBSD - to many hands in the pot, just checkout the latest security
advisories. ... and sloppy.
Solaris 7 - compile your own utilities! ( I personally would only run on
SPARC... PERIOD )
Solaris 8 - getting better, lots of GNU utils ( Again, SPARC only )
AIX - excellent enterprise unix, I really enjoy working with it.
HPUX - about the same as AIX, but I like the powerPC arch better
TRU64 - POWER POWER POWER, complex, multithreaded, SMP, writing good apps
for SMP alpha is fun! ( and confusing ;-)
BULL - YUK
D-UX - YUK